Sunday, June 8, 2008

5 months - part 2

So...the move. To be honest, the main reason that we're in Australia now is because Jordan really wanted to go and I felt that I owed it to him, since he stuck it out in Canada for 5 years for me. He was getting bored with his job (he was an independent contractor working for a US tech firm) and decided that he wanted to get an MBA - and thought that it would be nice for a change to go to his part of the world to do it. Jordan's parents moved there (or rather, here since I'm here now) a year ago with the plan of moving up to Brisbane, on the east coast after Jordan's sister is done high school, where they planned to build or buy a home to retire in. This worked out well for us, because we figured that when I go back to work, and if Jordan is in school, his mum could watch Kubus. I have to admit, I was totally dreading the thought of putting the little guy into daycare and a nanny would not only be expensive, but I know that I would be jealous of her. I would end up pulling a Britney and would fire the nanny whenever I thought my baby was getting too attached (its true, I read about it in People or OK or something else credible). Anyway, after the family all left after I had the baby Jordan and I started talking and one day we just decided we would move. I could tell that Jordan was just feeling a bit restless too - and I considered it to be an adventure, so we bought one way tickets.

Let me tell you the trip over here was interesting. I was so thankful (and incredibly smug) because Kubus was an angel on the flight from Toronto to Vancouver and then from Vancouver to Auckland (we flew to New Zealand first to introduce him to Jordan's extended family). Jordan and I would look over at the other crying babies and smirkingly go on about how they are such brats and how good Kubus is, congratulating ourselves on our parenting skills. HA. God decided we needed to be taken down a peg or two and had Kubus SCREAM for half the flight from New Zealand to Sydney. I have to say, I was SO embarrassed and I felt sorry for the other passengers (I tried to avoid eye contact because I'm sure there were lots of evil looks). I also felt sorry for Kubus because something must have been really bothering him, I think he had a tummy-ache. It was so bad that at the end of the flight, one couple with kids came up to me and said I was doing a really good job. It actually made me feel better.
Fast forward to now...well, we arrived in Sydney in the first week of April and I have to admit, that it was on that first day there, in Jordan's parents house that they rented, that it really hit me that I've moved...and that I moved somewhere that I've never been to before and that I didn't have any of my stuff. I was actually homesick for the first time in my life. I mean, we only brought what would fit in our baggage allowance and the baby stuff took up more room that I thought...plus at that stage I was going through an awkward fat stage of not fitting into any of my old clothes, but not wanting to waste money on fat transition clothes, so I wasn't sure what to take. I didn't want to waste room bringing stuff that might not fit for months (or ever, but I'm totally in denial about it even being a possibility) but also didn't only want to be stuck with stretchy black pants and hoodies. But the main point is that I really didn't feel "at home" at Jordan's parents house. Don't get me wrong, they are nice people and I get along with them better than probably 99% of people do with their in-laws...and we are paying them rent...but when you want to do little things like watch TV you feel guilty, worrying that someone else wants to watch something and are secretly annoyed....plus Jordan's mom is like Martha Stewart. Her house is always spotless and I feel like I'm just making more work for her. Its getting much better now - but I still have days when I yearn for the snow covered ground of Toronto...
Anyway...I realized when I read over my previous email that I didn't really mention Kubus himself much and how he's changed. Now, don't worry ladies, this is NOT going to be a list of reasons why I think he's a genius and that they should offer him a place at Harvard now (even though I'm surprised I haven't received the pre-acceptance letter yet, but I'm not going to hold it against Harvard - I'm sure its in the mail). No. I will NOT do that to you. But I do want to say that he's such an awesome kid. I often look at him and just say "Jordan, oh my God, look how cute he is - come here and see" - and Jordan will come over and say "he IS cute". We do this on average 10 times a day. Also, sometimes he's in this awesome mood where he'll laugh and giggle for no reason - anything we do seems hilarious to him. Its so funny to watch. Though I must admit that he did inherit my dad's and Jordan's temper. He is the king of "packing a shit" as we lovingly call it, when something doesn't go his way. And he HATES getting dressed. Honestly, he will scream bloody murder when I try to put his pants or a shirt on. You'd think I was scalding him with hot oil. He's really fascinated by Rosie, Jordan's parents dog, even though she hates him. She's so jealous of him, especially when Jordan's mom pays attention to him - she refuses to look him in the eye, and growls if we bring him close to her. And I don't think it helps that his version of petting her is grabbing her fur and not letting go.

The one issue we are dealing with now is that we've started calling him Kubes - like boobs. I think it started because I'd call him goober, which turned into goobs, and now Kubes. Jordan's mom is worried that if we keep it up, kids will call him Pubes when he goes to school...and i think shes right. Oh well. we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I decided since I have all this time now, I have no excuse not to finally get into shape. Jordan and I started running - we try to go every day while Jordan's mom watches Kubes. Also I joined this boot-camp fitness class. I was kind of hoping that it would be full of fatties and that I would be the thin one, but when I got there it was 3 guys who look like they should be in the olympics and 2 girls, one of whom I think is another instructor at the place and the other is this thin little thing who claims she wants muscles. Bitch (just kidding). Anyway, it actually makes me the token fat person. Oh well. It just makes me that much more motivated. I'm pretty sure its starting to kick in 'cause I've lost over 5 pounds in 2 weeks. And now that I've made a public declaration of losing the weight I have to lose the remaining weight. (FYI - breast feeding does help with weight loss but does NOT "melt away the pounds" like I was told) I'll send you guys "before and after" pictures. My goal is to be back to my pre-wedding weight before Kubes' 1st birthday.

Kasia

PS. Oh I forgot to mention that I did get a transfer, and will be working at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Brisbane starting November.

No comments: